Thursday, February 19, 2015

Working Mom's Guilt? I think NOT!

Over the past 5 years, I have experienced what I thought was working mom’s guilt. Lately I have really pondered this feeling and have finally discovered where this is all coming from. For the record … I have absolutely NOTHING to feel guilty about by being a full-time working mom. I am able to contribute to the financial stability of my home, show my children the value of a strong work-ethic and utilize my God-given abilities in the work place. As I entered into my 30s, I started to search for a network of moms and young families to share in this journey of life.

I am passionate about people and relationships. Everyone has a “story” and they are all special – it’s what makes us unique. I thrive when I am deeply connected. My husband and I joined a small group at church for parents of young children.  While the friendships we have formed there are encouraging and fulfilling, I still found myself a bit discouraged and out of place. I found myself in a sea of stay-at-home moms. And it kind of made me a little crazy thinking I was all alone.  Let’s be honest – most play dates and mommy functions are organized and scheduled  on week days, which is hard to get plugged into with the demands of corporate American between the hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday.

Please don’t misunderstand me! I love my stay-at-home mom friends and have many close friends that stay home with their sweet kiddos all day every day. I just need an outlet to share my daily lows and highs of being a full-time working mom. The more I thought about it, I realized I am not experiencing working mom’s guilt – I am experiencing a lack of community with other full-time working moms.  In 2013, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 63.9% of mothers in the work force have children under the age of 6 years old, which means … I am NOT alone! There are other women JUST like me that manage this crazy juggle of family-life and work-life.  Could they be having these same feelings?

Why isn’t there a stronger community with other working moms? I don’t know, but I will do what I can to change this. This could be a real ministry opportunity. Lately I have felt led to get involved and do my part to help strengthen the network of working moms in my own community. I will be hosting a kickoff luncheon on March 6th for the Sisterhood of the WORKING Motherhood in North Austin. Let the networking and encouraging begin!

6 comments:

  1. Love this! You're speaking my language lady! Best of luck with your blog.
    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your article! What time and where is your luncheon. I'm heading back to work after being out of the work force. An unexpected divorce is sending me back. I'm really struggling with the guilt however the more I'm out networking again with my
    peers I'm remembering and reconnecting to a piece of me I have missed and that feels really great! Looking forward to Friday.
    Melissa L. Skinner

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time and where will this luncheon take place? I am a mom of a beautiful toddler and almost 9 months pregnant working full time, as much as I love my career, I definitely am starting to feel torn between my wanting to stay at home and continuing to pursue my career. I was fortunate to stay home for a year with my first baby, but didn't have the career that I have now, mixed emotions every day as to what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! Where's the info? I'd love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kick off lunch for the Sisterhood of the WORKING motherhood social network is this Friday March 6th at the Domain Whole Foods from 11:30a-1:30p (come and go). I would LOVE to meet you all. If you can't join, don't worry - I will build out a full calendar of social events so everyone can get plugged in when its most convenient for you and your family (week day lunches and happy hours + weekend functions with the family).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies - If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out: mamameg.perfectlyimperfect@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete